Thursday, November 21, 2013

The Widow Singer!

In my younger days, age 17-30, I was known as The Wedding Singer.  I must have sung at 100 weddings during those years.  Some of them were local and sometimes I traveled to other states to sing at a friend's wedding or even a distant relative of a friend who heard I could sing and help make their day special with music. 

Lately, that name has changed to The Widow Singer.  I have done a couple of weddings this year, but mostly I have been singing at funerals.  I started singing with the Resurrection choir soon after Peter died.  It was something that so touched me to have the choir sing at Peter's funeral, that I wanted to share my gift, God's gift, with others who may be experiencing the loss that I had felt. 

I sang at a funeral yesterday.  It was to honor a parishioner, 81 years old, and so many of his family and friends came to the mass.  Father Ryan Elder gave a great homily and the music the family had chosen was comforting and beautiful.  The Resurrection Choir was strong in numbers yesterday and the sound was magical.  "Amazing Grace", "The Lord is My Light and My Salvation", and "How Great Thou Art".  It was requested that the "Ave Maria" be sung at the Preparation of Gifts.  I was asked by Diane Williams to be the cantor for this funeral.  I had not sung the "Ave Maria" in over 20 years in public.  It just isn't the same hearing it in the shower!  I prayed a prayer of strength that God would be with me and lead me in this song of praise to Mary.  I stood to sing and the Spirit filled me and washed over me as I began the song.  I was swept away in the words and the music and beauty I could feel in my heart.  I knew it would be pleasing for the family to hear this special song.  I was so moved, I started to weep as I sat down.

Earlier that day I had prayed the Rosary with the two eighth grade religion classes as part of our volunteer work through Partners In Prayer.  I realized after I had sung the "Ave Maria" that I had already prayed this prayer over 100 times that morning before the funeral!

The mass was moving and because the deceased had been in the Navy, they had a special ceremony at the interment at the columbarium.  Three Navy Reserve officers were on hand to play "Taps" and gave the folded American Flag to the widow. Afterward, I thanked the officers for their service.  The one that had played "Taps" asked me if I was the singer.  I said, "Yes." He put down his instrument and picked me up in a great big hug, he was so moved by my voice. 

I am so fortunate so share God's gift so often in my life.  It brings me joy and humbles me each time that there is something greater than me to share.  Go share your gifts today.

Peace and love,

Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment