Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Hello all,

Ok.  I spoke too soon about the gluten-free diet.  I have been going along with what little information I have for getting started and have tried some great recipes and gluten-free mixes (Betty Crocker Gluten-free Brownies are the best!)  The cookies were not so great.  Very crumby!

I think everything is going well and then I get a text from mom last night while I am helping out at St. Michael cheerleading practice. 

"I fixed sirloin burger soup for Grandpa and I for lunch.  Katie was using his end of the table so I set his bowl at Sam's place.  Gpa was working on the computer.  Sam thought it was for him and he ate it.  Really liked it so not sure how much stew he will eat for supper.  So good to see him happy and hungry.  Both doing homework."

There are so many great things about this text.  The kids are doing their homework, Sam is hungry and HAPPY and eating, and dad is working on the computer.  My dad has been recently diagnosed with COPD and has not felt well for about three months.  It is good to see him doing normal activity.  However, I instantly realize that the soup mom had made probably was not gluten-free!  Sam had already had some stomach issues this weekend after eating out with friends where I suspect the French fries were not cooked in a dedicated fryer separate from the breaded chicken.  I had packed him a lunch but he thought Chik-fil-a would be ok.  I need to teach him to ask the important questions when eating out about cross contamination. 

I was concerned that after eating this soup that he would feel bad.  I called mom right away and had her read the label.  Sure enough, it contains wheat products.  I asked her not to tell him so he would not have a psychosomatic reaction if he knew the food had gluten in it.  I watched him when I got home and sure enough, he could not focus on his homework.  He was drumming, humming and staring off into space for about an hour.  He never had a stomach ache and I kept feeding him other food.  Sam was also very grumpy this morning when I woke him up and did not want to go to school today.  He said, "I want to take a nap the minute I get home today!"

The gluten obviously affects Sam and I need to be a better teacher for him to advocate for himself.  He needs to ask before he eats anything, even at home.  I wanted to have a complete gluten-free home and I realize this may not be reality for a while.

I know others struggle with bigger issues, but this one threw me for a loop last night.  I feel like I am trying to do the right thing and then I get blindsided and have to start at square one again.  I pray for patience and strength to get through this phase.  Another friend told me it would take about six months to completely get comfortable with the gluten-free lifestyle change.  I believe it now!

Have a blessed day and appreciate the bounty of the food we do eat to nourish our minds and bodies.

Love,

Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment